2012年2月11日 星期六

Trifles about food

‎"I don't understand why they eat long-grain rice here."
funny fugu-rice from here


My roommate asked me the question while I was cooking this evening.

The question also perplexes me for a long time. If you wanna date a movie star you will put Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, or Daniel Craig, instead of Jack Black, on you guest list. Likewise, there's no reason justifying why people 'love' eating long-grain rice (I would rather say because they have no choice here). The only answer I have is becausethey don't use rice cooker in Europe.

The short, fat sushi rice is hard to cook with pot, and I don't think European pay any attention to the proportion of water and rice at all. They know they are eating rice, and that's all. Calm down, my Asian friend. Maybe I should blame Japanese, the ex-colonist of Taiwan, for ameliorating the rice species in Taiwan, so I will not complain about the rice here (because I have found sushi rice in Chinese market, tank God.)

I didn't accuse the sushi stand infront of SU of fraud because I know they didn't intentionally make the sushi as ugly as a primary school art homework. It's all translation's fault! Sushi, in English, should be translated as "Rice with sea weed and raw fish." Voila! There is rice with sea weed and raw fish, although it's rolled in a peculiar way and made of tasteless long-grain rice. 4 pieces of sushi for €6 cannot be regarded as robbery when you are a homesick Taiwanese (Yes, Japanese food is like home food for Taiwanese.)

So, don't ask anymore questions and just enjoy your dinner. It's Po cooking tonight, dig in!

沒有留言:

張貼留言