2012年3月17日 星期六

Prague, Czech

Prague, or Praha in Czech, is the city fulfilling your imagination.
Welcomed by azure sky

When we arrived Prague airport, I ask Verna a question: 
"What's special about Prague?"
Her answer was very interesting: "It's the city of fairy tales!"
I laughed at the answer and hoped there're not too many leprechauns walking around in their greenish outfit. 

My first impression about Prague is it's a tidy city. Maybe it's still in early spring, the streets and flora are not decorated by too many colors. On the way to city center, while I was in the subway, the crowd in the carriage reminds me of MRT in Taipei, where people live shoulder to shoulder. This is the life in mega city, the life I used to live. 

Before arriving the hostel, we have pass a small part of city center. 'The city center is really old,' thought I. Compared to Taipei, the tiles, colors, pavement on the road, everything looks rather archaic in the narrow lanes. 

Whether the trip is successful depends on luck sometimes. People you meet, food you eat, subway you take: all these trivial stuff may judge if the journey is memorable or not. The hostel is small but cozy, old as well. Right after we settle down, Jana shows up. It's been over 2 years since I saw her last time in Taiwan, and this is my very first time I meet a foreign friend abroad. Everything appears to be peculiar at that moment. Jana, as gentle as usual, takes us out right away, excitedly wants to show us everything in Prague. 

twilight at Charles Bridge
I love walking, and Prague is the perfect city for pedestrians. Charles Bridge, Old town square, Castle district, all are in a very short distance. Jana leads us roaming around the city in those days, and I will say we have seen the essence of Prague city. 

Vlatava River and Charles Bridge at night

I didn't know the river running across Prague is Vlatava, Moldau in German. I was always thinking about Smentana's tunes when I lingered along the riverbank. The rumbling water echoes to the rythme of Ma Vlast (My Fatherland) in my head. I told Verna I envy Czech has Smentana, Dvorak, and Kafka. This 3 figures are enough for the world to bear Czech in their mind, let alone Prague Spring and Velvet Revolution. 

I start humming Deng's Taiwanese folksong when I loitered around Kafka museum. I wish there's a song for my fatherland, dedicated to the race and people on the small island. 

When we passed Národní Divadlo, the National Theare at Prague, there happened to be Thaikovsky's ballet, Oneikin, on performance, and the student ticket was only 50kc/€2. We seized the rare chance to purchase the tickets,and I could see excitement in Jana and Verna's face. We are going to watch a ballet in National Theatre!

glamorous National Theatre
I have to show the greatest appreciation to Jana because she spent almost 3 days to be our local guide. Without her, the trip to Prague cannot be so perfect and unforgettable. Besides the city center, we went to Kutna Hora to see the Ossuary and St. Barbara's Cathedral; Observation Tower at night; Vitus Church and the Golden Lane in the Castle. The first night at Prague was freezing, the -4 degree temperature was totally unexpected, and Jana bought me a pair of gloves on the way to Kutna Hora the very next day. Although it's a pair of normal gloves, it's definitely a meaningful gift

St. Barbara's Cathedral
Bird's view over Prague
Kostnice Ossuary, Kutna Hora
Afternoon tea with Jana, Petra, Verna at Mysak
very unique equitation
St. Vitus Cathedral
Church of the Virgin Mary before Tyn
downtown buildings with flamboyant colors

Jana and me at Prague Central
I have to agree with Verna that Prague is really the city of fairy tale!

沒有留言:

張貼留言